27 February 2014

Trying to get back in the flow....

Tonight marks my 8th class since returning to practice almost three weeks ago. I'm still trying to find a schedule that works so I can attend more classes, and I'm still trying to get comfortable again in the room. My classes are really inconsistent -- one class feels pretty good, the next I am down for the count at Locust pose. One night my Standing Bow is almost passable, the next I cannot even get into it. That will improve with time... Patience is the keyword here.

I am finding that one of the things I have missed is the little bits of knowledge or the stories that our instructors pass along during Savasana. To wit:

Why must we lock the knee?

Large supports small. Strong supports weak. When you lock the knee you use the large muscles of your leg to create a strong base. When you attempt to support large with small, you will injure yourself.

Why is water the best liquid to hydrate with? Why not load up on sports drinks?

Yoiur body's ideal pH is somewhere around 7.3. Pure water has a pH of 7 -- your body assimilates it very quickly. Drinks like Gatorade are very acidic with an average pH of 2.7 - 3.3 . So if you chug a bunch of it before class, your body is not only working to keep itself cool, it is also attempting to make itself less acidic. This will impact your experience in the room in a negative way.

When is the best time to hydrate? (This one made me think.)

While it is necessary to hydrate throughout the day, the best time is before you go to bed. All day long you are moving, working your muscles for hours on end. When you sleep, your muscles are relaxed, allowing the water you drink to work its way back into them. Yes, you might have to get up in the middle of the night, but you will feel much better the next day -- and during your next class.

Finally, the best thing I've heard in class so far:

Every person has three gifts: 

Your smile

Your compassion

Your love

Share these gifts every day!!

Namaste.


***NOTE: I'm neither a doctor nor a chemist. While I did research these figures, I cannot guarantee their veracity. DO NOT take them as gospel.***  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment