10 February 2011

"Did someone get that license plate?..."

With work, weather, and illness out of the way, Tuesday was my first class in two full weeks. Felt good, ready to go, itching to get back into the room.



Another full class (30 or more). Had to wedge into a spot on the middle row. The class started well. It simply felt good to get that sweat going and start doing postures. Half-moon, Hands to Feet, Awkward, Eagle all went pretty well. Still much difficulty in balancing set, then the usual falling out in Triangle. Finished the standing set pretty well, at least for me. Took a little water, then into savasana for the normal two minute break before the floor series.

Then it began.

Got through spine-strengthening ok, but while transitioning to Fixed-firm, I started to get queasy. Never got dizzy, but my stomach really started to hurt. Made it through Half-Tortoise, but only just. Next was Camel, the deepest backbend in the class. Tried to go back in first set and thought I was going to lose it. I came out way early and laid back down. Second set was worse, and in Rabbit, I couldn't bend forward at all. I felt like I had been hit by the proverbial truck, and laid out for the rest of class. Cindy, our instructor, even asked if I would take part in the final breathing exercise. I shook my head and heard a couple people chuckle -- not in derision -- they have all been there before. I stayed in the room for awhile after class and was able to calm myself without actually getting sick. Victory!!!

Those things happen from time to time, even to the most experienced practitioners. As time passes, those episodes become fewer and fewer. For me, it means looking at things like my diet. It's been very cold (for Texas) the last two weeks, and when it's cold, I want to eat more, and I want to eat more meats and fast food. The cleanse we did a couple weeks ago was really good -- lost 10 lbs -- but I haven't kept up with the eating part of the plan. Trying to get back on the beam in that regard, and I am looking forward to getting back to practice tonight!

11 down, 189 to go.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment